Thursday, May 20, 2010

Back to my roots



Growing up we ate a lot of beans and rice. My mom loves to tell a story about me when I was around 3 years old. I came into the kitchen and said, "Mom? You cookin' da beans?"


I haven't cooked pinto beans in years. We really don't need more gas in this house. But my kids were begging for Taco Bell bean burritos the other day and I figured I should make my own. (Especially considering that I can get the yummiest, fresh flour tortillas at any grocery store here!) I have a ton of pintos in my food storage and they're so easy to make. During college my roommates and I made these all the time. No wonder the girls upstairs hated us. Refried beans and LLCoolJ wafting up the stairs...


The other day I made the Pioneer Woman's Restaurant style salsa. I love it. And she's hilarious- it you haven't checked out her site, you should. And yes, I read the whole love story.


Then, just because I've been thinking about my g-mates this week I took some corn and flour tortillas and fried them in canola, salted them... and yum!



Easy Pinto Beans

4 cups of dry pinto beans
¼ to ½ cup taco seasoning mix
2 tsp salt

Soak beans overnight in a big pot with enough water to cover beans by 2-3 inches. Rinse beans well the next day and discard any floating beans. Fill pot again with enough water to go 2-3 inches above beans. Bring to a boil and then simmer for 2-3 hours, periodically stirring. Add seasoning & salt. When beans become quite soft, use a bean masher or blender to mash them. Adjust seasonings to your taste and enjoy!