Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Jam in sunlight


The other day I got up early and was working in the kitchen when I noticed the way the sunlight was hitting a couple of jars of jam that I had sitting out on the counter. Just when you thought there couldn't possibly be another reason to love homemade jam.
I have a memory of sitting on the kitchen table, dipping strawberries in sugar and eating them. I was probably about 5 and my whole family had been strawberry picking that morning. My mom was making jam in the kitchen and I was "helping." I LOVED my mom's jam.
And then when I got a little older, she started buying Smuckers instead of making it homemade. I went on a jam boycott for years. (Which means I was bringing tuna fish to school instead of a PBJ-that's how much I hate Smuckers!) I finally gave in and started to accept store bought jam... until a few years after being married. I wanted to try making my own and see how hard it was. Turns out it is SO easy. For about $4-$10 and an hour of my time I can have 4 pints of the best jam on the planet. SO worth it!
P.S. I'm not a freezer jam person b/c I usually don't have the space for it and I actually really like the cooked jam taste. The End