Friday, January 21, 2011

Mommy Blogs


My sister forwarded this article from salon.com to me a few days ago. I still can't decide exactly what I think. The author is a self described feminist atheist... who's secret habit is reading blogs by LDS moms.
Read it if you're interested. As a stay-at-home LDS woman who happens to have a blog, all I can say is:
1) I blog because it's an easy way to keep my super spread out family in the know
2) I can print out my blogs at the end of each year and have a sort of memory book, which is cool
3) I LOVE to see beautiful photographs of food, paintings, quilts, etc... and so I've posted some of my own in the hope of inspiring other people
4) Every now and again I have something to say and this is as a good a forum as any
Most of the women I know who have blogs do it for similar reasons. We're not trying to make our lives look easy and glossy. BUT... I'll just speak for myself here: Mostly I'm a pretty happy person and that's probably gonna come through on my blog. Maybe it's just my nature and I'd be happy in communist Cuba. All I can say is that:

1) I am totally in love with my imperfect husband
2) I adore my messy, foul mouthed children,
3) I believe I am one of God's children, that Jesus Christ is my savior and that the Holy Spirit comforts/inspires me and
4)I get a lot of joy from the above and am so thankful I can devote my energy to all of them

I haven't read much from the blogs listed in the salon article and I just quickly skimmed through each of them. The only one I will look at again is "natthefatrat." Her writing cracks me up- she totally reminds me of pioneer woman. The other blogs almost instantly turned me off, WAY too many pics of the authors- it all felt a little too narcissistic for my tastes.

Maybe I'm bristling b/c I hate being pigeonholed, even if it's in a sort of complementary way. It's irritating to feel like you are being represented by someone you didn't vote for. I know many LDS women and they are ALL so different. Oh and for the record, I don't arrange flowers all day. Actually I don't arrange flowers at all- I'm more of a plant person. (I like what my sister Em had to say too)


And now for a picture of one of my many junk drawers, just so you know I'm "keepin'it ree-o"



PS: The pic at the top of this post is the price I paid for writing this and yes, that's bread dough. eeeeww!