Thursday, March 1, 2012

Chair re-do


We have been looking for a chair for the corner of our living room for about 4 years. Stupid right? But I didn't want to spend ridiculous money and I refused to busy something affordable that I didn't love. Then when we were in Canada last summer I came across a picture of a reupholstered couch in a magazine. I was instantly in love with the fabric. I tried searching for it online but came up empty handed. A few days later I pulled out the magazine again and realized that the fabric name was included in the article!!! ya-hoo.
So I found a super creepy chair on Craigslist for $35, stripped it down to the bone, scrubbed it with bleach and vinegar AND let it sit in the sun for several days, refinished the wood (with Curt's help) and recushioned/covered the chair. The stripping was fun, everything else was pretty much torture.



I think recovering is a lot easier when you can keep the orignal padding. Making it all fit and look smooth proved to be pretty much impossible. I still havne't finished the nail heads that are supposed to line the borders. I'll get around to it.

I still adore the fabric and mostly I'm glad I did it but just don't look too closely. :)