Monday, March 16, 2015

TeePee

I have wanted to make a teepee for years.  I finally got really excited about it in December (I think I was hoping to put off other responsibilities by getting sucked into a project.)  But I only bought some fabric in December and didn't really get going until January.  LOVED this project.  I saw several great ideas on pinterest and settled on stripes, even though I knew that would be more expensive and lots more work. 


Browsing through fabric was half the fun.  I found some beautiful prints at JoAnns and several great geometric designs at Hobby Lobby. 


I made a paper template and kept laying down fabric in different combinations until I found one I liked.  I decided to sew a 5 sided teepee because I like the look of a more rounded structure. 


And done!


I don't have a serger so sewing all the seams and then going over the raw edges in a zigzag took some extra time but it wasn't too bad actually. 


I knew I had to embellish with real feathers and LOVE the ones I found at Hobby Lobby.  I decided to use PVC instead of real wooden dowel because it was so much cheaper ($10 instead of $60 total) and I painted the PVC gold and used a little washi tape for decoration. 

I used bias tape for the door.  Happy to report that Lucy loves it and in fact she slept in there for the first 3 weeks!  It's a fun addition to our playroom and will hopefully last for a long time.