Monday, February 8, 2010

Pumpkin Muffins on a cold day


I know I know... I live in Houston- it's not cold here. But really- this winter has been cold and more importantly I don't have a good coat and my house is drafty. Aaaannnd... we're trapped inside all summer so this is our only time of year to be outside. waaahhh! Anyway, these muffins make it all better. Got the recipe from my buddy Sarah and the whole family LOVES them. The recipe makes 2 dozen regular and 2 dozen mini muffins. I used to freeze some but that's happening less as my boys get older. :)

Pumpkin Muffins

1 ½ c. sugar
2/3 c. butter or oil
1 can pumpkin puree
2/3 c. water
4 eggs

2 c whole wheat flour
1 ½ c. oat bran or oat flour
2 tsp baking soda
1 1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp ground cloves
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 1/2 c. cranberries chopped
2/3 c. chopped pecans or walnuts

Heat oven to 350 F and grease 2 muffin pans. Mix sugar and butter, add pumpkin, eggs and water. Add remaining ingredients and mix until combined. Bake 18-20 minutes (about 12 minutes for mini muffins)

Note: You can use chocolate chips instead of cranberries and nuts. These freeze very well.