Thursday, December 9, 2010

Full on Believer

Last Friday my neighbor and I were watching our boys play football in the yard. They kept tackling eachother, sometimes on the concrete. Ouch! I made the mistake of mentioning that we haven't had any broken bones and have really been lucky with injuries. It's quite amazing actually considering my boys are huge climbers. Jonah has been scaling play structures and walls since he was two. I've been busted by a busybody parent more than once while playing at a park with my little spiderman.

Anyway, not 10 minutes after I made that comment, Jonah slipped in our home and fell on his outstretched arm, right on the tile! You heard me, it wasn't while roller blading or tree climbing or tackling or bike stunting... it was while jumping up to grab a basket in my kitchen. I'm not proud to say that I totally panicked when I saw his deformed arm. I yelled to Curtis and we both sort of ran back and forth for 30 seconds. Then Curtis threw his shoes on and I grabbed a huge super cold ice pack for Jonah's arm and they were off to the emergency room.

I spent the next several hours feeding the kids, cleaning up the house and crying. I hated not being with Jonah when I knew he was in agony. He and Curtis spent the next 5 hours waiting and waiting at the hospital. They came home with Jonah's arm in a splint and a bottle of codine. We were told he might need surgery but that we would have to wait until Monday or Tuesday! Arghh! Do I live in Canada? On Tuesday Jonah went in for surgery but they ended up being able to manipulate his bones back into place (injury is called supracondylar humerus fracture fyi) without cutting him open and put in 4 pins. The anesthesia made him so ill and he spent the rest of the day pretty miserable. Today he's feeling much better and will probably go back to school next week. I'm nervous to send him, especially since he doesn't even have a cast. What if someone plows into him in the hallway at school? OUCH!

He's been such a good little soldier, especially considering that his lacrosse season just started and he's pretty much out for the whole thing. He also can't type or play piano and his birthday is next week but we're putting off the party until January so he can enjoy it more. It's not all bad. We've actually had a really nice time together this week ( just finished "Race to Witch Mountain." Not bad- I can pretty much watch "The Rock" in anything but this is my fav. Love that guy). Jonah is so fun to talk with and he's very sweet with Lucy, always willing to read her a story or listen to music with her. I've actually gotten a bunch of cleaning done since I can't go anywhere. We're thankful for healthcare and good doctors and hopeful that the injury will heal correctly so he can go back to being the fun and active boy he is.


Last night Jonah was schedule to receive his "Arrow of Light" in scouts and he felt well enough to go.


Moral of this post: Knock on wood