Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Doctor Dilemma

So do I go with the pediatricians who are uber fast and convenient or the docs I actually like? Arrghh!!

I've been with Dr. Lentsch for 3 years now and they are SO efficient. I am in and out in 20-30 minutes EVERY time I go. Amazing. They can also squeeze you in, like if you call at 3:30pm on a weekeday they will say, "How fast can you get here?" and you don't have to wait until morning with your sick kiddo.


BUT... I am ALWAYS stressed out by my visits to that office. I can't really explain it other than to say the docs (the practice has grown and there are several new peds) make me feel like they are doing me a huge favor in seeing my child and that they are mildly disappointed in my parenting efforts. Maybe it's because I don't follow the vaccine schedule exactly. There are a couple we don't get but mostly I just try to spread them out a little bit more. I'm sure the nurses and docs look at this as a major offense. I'm also not a fan of the flu vaccine (dangerous and ineffective? no thanks). Oh and I breastfeed past a year. This is really what prompted me to want to find a new pediatrician. At Lucy's 12, 15 and 18 month checkups they were pretty much telling me to wean her. I left each visit almost in tears.

So I decided to check out a new pediatrican. Found one that has 8 kids of her own and I was sold. She was very chill and suprise! I left her office not feeling terrible. The downside: I've now been to her office 4 times and every visit takes 1 1/2 to 2 hours!!!! Arghh.

I called up my old doc yesterday to see if they might squeeze me in (Jonah had strep) and in the course of our discussion she asked why I had gone to a new doc. I told her that I didn't feel like her staff supported my decisions as a mom, particularly breastfeeding and she told me.... that she and her staff do discourage breastfeeding after 15 months because of the emotional problems it causes. Say what?!?

As is always the case when I am completely baffled I didn't say what I wanted to. In fact I just said, "Well it's a moot point because Lucy is weaned now." But seriously, emotional problems??? I just don't know what to say. Maybe she's right. I mean actually nursing Lucy past a year here in Texas has been hell. There may be no more uncomfortable situation that a nursing toddler at a football game in Katy, Texas. Maybe she meant the emotional problems the mother experiences!!

Anyway, this was NOT meant to be a breastfeeding rant but I am really struggling with whether I should go to the nicer pediatrican who makes me wait or stick with the lame docs who don't waste my time! Wish I could have the best of both...