Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Evolution of a word




I grew up asking for an "underdog" while swinging. I married Curtis and discovered that in his neck of the woods it's called an "underduck." He then explained to me how his word makes more sense because the parent ducks under the swing while pushing the child. I couldn't argue and since I've adopted many of his crazy Canadian phrases (excluding but not limited to garberator and cutlery) that's what I say to our kids. The boys usually ask for a twisty underduck actually.



So Lucy loves to swing and could swing for hours. I actually should have just installed a big swing in my kitchen- would have gotten so much more done these last 2 years. The other day I was pushing Lucy and she kept saying "Fun! This so fun!" And then she asked for a (wait for it) "Funderduck." I had to do a double take to make sure she wasn't cussing. But seriously... it's brilliant. Because no one can deny it's fun and then there's the ducking... I love kids.